WELCOME!

And Thank You for visiting Sonoma Dave's Giant Red Sox Blog! This blog is an archive of most of my posts on Fenway West. Effective immediately, I will be be including posts about the San Francisco Giants, MLB, and on occasion, stuff that has nothing to do with baseball at all.

Please visit FENWAY WEST.

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Meanwhile, on the west coast...

Growing up 60 miles south of Fenway Park, of course I became a Red Sox fan. My father growing up here became a Yankee fan (gasp!) as the Sox in the 1920's were sucking swampwater, and everything was Babe Ruth this! and Lou Gehrig that! While I recall watching Tony C. getting beaned and watching Carlton Fisk wave 8 years later, for some strange reason that I do not recall the reason why, the Giants were my NL favorite team. Fast forward to 2010 and I find myself living about 60 miles north of ATnT Park. I have tickets to a Sox game here in June, but you know I will be there in full Red Sox regalia rooting for the Sox, of course.

But speaking of the Giants, while thay may have been a doormat in the NL West, (not an easy thing to do), they seemed to have turned a corner this season in the post-Bonds* era. The Giants are off to a hot start. They are in 1st place in their division with an 8-3 W-L record. Today, Tim Lincecum threw 6 innings of shutout ball against the Dodgers. He struck out 7, and watched his ERA drop to 0.90. Not only did he shut down the Dodgers, he aided his own cause by going 3 for 4 and driving in 3 of his team's 9 runs. Manny was not in the Dodger's line-up today, his 2nd missed game of this very young season. He left yesterday's game after three innings with a tight right calf muscle. (Yeah, right.) Even Barry Zito has a winning record and a respectable ERA this year (2-0, 2.25), something he has not been able to accomplish in his first 3 seasons as a Giant.










While on the topic of young seasons, Tom Caron and Peter Gammons discuss the Sox slow start out of the gate this season, noting that on April 17th of last year, the Sox record was 4 wins and 6 losses.





Fenway West 04.17.10

No comments: