SOX Analyst (novato)
Reply to: email@example.com
Date: 2009-02-26, 4:55PM PSTAt Fireman's Fund, you're building a challenging career at the same time as bringing a sense of stability to people's lives. You're also contributing to our success and our reputation as a leader in the field with your skills and expertise. For this you are appreciated, acknowledged, and rewarded. We believe that if you hold on to great people, everyone wins. Just more proof that a career with Fireman's Fund, isn't just a good idea. It's a smart move.
• Develop documentation and guidance for Risk Management and Compliance
projects (Solvency II, SOX, and internal control improvement projects)
• Monitor compliance with the Risk Management and Compliance policies and
• Coordinate Compliance projects within assigned departments/divisions
• Assist business partners in identifying, documenting and optimizing their
system of internal control
• Identify internal control issues and develop recommendations
• Quality Assurance of Risk Management and Compliance documentation
• Develop education and training
• Track, report and facilitate remediation of control deficiencies
• Coordinate and manage Internal and External Audit’s testing of controls,
training and customer service
• Have an advanced understanding of various lines of business, assigned
• Build and manage relationships with process, control owners and
management and track changes in the processes and risks
• Develop and maintain risk management and insurance expertise through
continuing education within financial reporting and risk management field Work
• 3+ years of professional experience in risk management, audit,
accounting, financial reporting, finance, IT or other related fields Preferred:
• Insurance Experience
• Public Accounting / Big 4 experience preferred
• Certification such as CPA, CIA, FRM, MBA, CISA or other applicable
• Risk management or actuarial background a plus Core Competencies
• Advanced understanding of risk and controls, including the ability to
identify risks and evaluate the design and operational effectiveness of controls
• Strong written and verbal communication skills and proven presentation
skills, including the ability to communicate messages
• Ability to influence work of others and work with all levels of
• Proven project management and time management skills, including
coordination of resources and timelines and the ability to prioritize,
coordinate and complete multiple projects of varying sizes
• Expert knowledge of Word, Excel; sound knowledge of Visio strong plus
• Problem solving, negotiation skills and decision making skills
• Demonstrate complete ownership of assigned projects from start to a
positive completion, willingness and ability to take initiative and operate with
appropriate sense of urgency
• Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
• Comfortable working in a flexible environment where priorities frequently
change, flexibility to work hours as necessary to meet deadlines
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
Please, no phone calls about this job!
Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial
Despite currently not needing employment, I decided to apply for the position anyhow. How could one turn down an opportunity to become a SOX analyst?! This is what I wrote in response:
Dear G Wright,
I am very interested in becoming a SOX analyst for FFIC.
I live here in Novato, so getting to FFIC would be no problem. I have been a SOX fan ever since 1967, the Impossible Dream year, when they won the American League pennant, and have been following them ever since. I am currently writing for a Red Sox blog out of Sebastopol called Fenway West (I go by the name of 'Red Sox Sonoma.') This blog is the #1 West Coast blog for Red Sox fans and averages well over 100 hits/day, and has had as many as 4300 hits in one day. You can see my work there, or at my archives of just my posts at my Red Sox Sonoma blog.
I also have extensive accounting and management experience, as well as experience with MS Word, Excel, and Outlook. Being a SOX fan has always had it's risks, which I have managed well over the years. I have analyzed the Big 4 of the AL East (Boston, New York, Tampa Bay, and Toronto) and can account for all proficiencies and deficiencies in those arenas. I have a thourough understanding of Jamesian statistics and sabermetrics, including ERA, ERA+, WHIP, AB/RSP, BABIP, GIDP, OBP, and OPS, as well as the Runs Created, Range Factor, Defensive Efficiency Rating, Pythagorean Winning Percentage, Major League Equivalency, Secondary Average, Power/Speed Number statistics categories.
I feel I am the most qualified SOX analyst that FFIC could find in Novato or the SF Bay area. I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Red Sox Sonoma
Think I'll get the job?